The Tokugawa Shogunate ordered four times in years of Keicho, Shoho, Genroku and Tempo to prepare maps of every "kuni" (country) all over Japan. Preparation of Genroku Kuni Ezu (national land maps) was ordered to be started in the 9th year of Genroku (1696) and completed to cover most of Japan by the 15th year of Genroku (1702).Preparation of Tempo Kuni Ezu was ordered in the 6th year of Tempo (1835) and completed in the 9th year of Tempo (1838). The mapping scale is 1: 21,600 approximately or 1 "sun" (3.3 cm) to 1 "ri" (4 km). Mountains, rivers and roads etc. are drawn on the maps. Black dots along main roads show mile stones. Counties are shown in different colors and an elliptic frame is attached to every village, in which name of village and a yield of rice are written. Box-shaped blank is attached to every castle town and names of city and castellan are written in the blank. Legends showing colors of counties, yield of rice in the counties, number of villages in the counties are labeled at a corner of each map. Names of officials conducted the preparation of maps are also written under the legends. Grid lines are drawn on some of the maps. Land Survey Department reproduced the Kuni Ezu for preparation of new national maps. These maps were used for practical purposes after the Meiji Restoration.The National Archives preserves eight originals and eight reproductions of Genroku Ezu, 83 national maps (119 sheets including duplication) and 12 reduced maps of Tempo Kuni Ezu. These maps and 85 Tempo Go Cho (records of villages) where a yield of rice of every village from Matsumae (Hokkaido) to Ryukyu (Okinawa) is recorded were designated as National Important Cultural Properties in the 58th year of Showa (1983). Tempo Kuni Ezu is drawn on high-quality drawing paper and the map sheets are very thick with multi-layered backing. There are wrinkles and thin spots on the surface caused by folding. The photography was carried out without any modification of the present conditions of the maps, and some of the portions may not be so clear.
- Select the region：Hokkaido
- Select the region：Tohoku
- Select the region：Kanto
- Select the region：Chubu
- Select the region：Kinki
- Select the region：Chugoku
- Select the region：Shikoku
- Select the region：Kyusyu
There can be seen three guard stations surrounded by fences along the coast of Aikawa, a town of gold mine. An entrance to the gold mine, namely Sodayu Entrance, which is opened to the public for tourism today, is depicted. Original sizes: 179 cm from east to west and 309 cm from north to south.
Echigo-no-Kuni (Shibata, Murakami- ryo)
Original size: 367cm of east and west and 614cm of north and south
Echigo-no-Kuni (Takada, Nagaoka-ryo)
Original size: 608cm of east and west and 521cm of north and south.
Original size: 448cm of east and west and 502cm of north and south.
Tempo Kuniezu Noto-no-Kuni Original size: 317cm of east and west and 498cm of north and south.
Original size: 384cm of east and west and 489cm of north and south.
The gateway to temple with a two-storied gate (sanmon) reconstructed in the 2nd year of Kan'en (1749) is painted at the site of Eihei-ji Temple, a famous head temple of the Soto sect. Original sizes: 459 cm from east to west and 423 cm from north to south.
The ruins of Kobama Castle completely make a city area it now, but understand that it was the castle which faced the sea in Edo period. Original size: 272cm of east and west and 390cm of north and south.
Original size: 399cm of east and west and 357cm of north and south.
Original size: 480cm of east and west and 857cm of north and south.
Seven islands of Izu are illustrated on sea east of Izu Peninsula even though their eandact geographical positions are not accurate. Original size: 414cm from east to west and 457cm from north to south.
Original size: 394cm of east and west and 392cm of north and south.
Pine groove at Miho is noted in a fairly tale in "Ama no Hagoromo" (Celestial Feather Cloak). In Edo period, entire Miho Village was covered by pine trees. The map also attests it. Original size: 445cm from east to west and 385cm from north to south.
Original size: 385cm of east and west and 444cm of north and south.
A name of "Mikura" (official warehouse) is given to Atsuta-Juku, an outer harbor of Nagoya. Original sizes: 295 cm from east to west and 419 cm from north to south.
Original size: 587cm of east and west and 492cm of north and south
Original size: 383cm of east and west and 485cm of north and south.